|The National Service Scheme (NSS) is an Indian government-sponsored public service program conducted by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. Popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Gandhiji's Centenary year in 1969. Aimed at developing student's personality through community service, NSS is a voluntary association of young people in Colleges, Universities and at +2 level working for a campus-community linkage.|
- The vision is to build the youth with the mind and spirit to serve the society and work for the social uplift of the down-trodden masses of our nation as a movement.
- The National Service Scheme has been functioning with the motto “NOT ME BUT YOU” in view of making the youth inspired in service of the people and hence NSS Aims Education through Community Service and Community Service through Education.
Objectives of NSS:
- To enable the students to understand the community in which they work themselves in relation to their community.
- To identify the needs and problems in the community in the solution of which they can be involved.
- To develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- To apply their education in finding practical solution to individual and community problems.
- To develop competence required for group living and sharing responsibilities.
- To gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- To acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude.
- To develop capacity to meet emergencies and national disasters. Practice national integration and social harmony.
College Level Advisory Committee-NSS
- College have to set up an NSS Advisory Committee to advise on Programme/planning and development under the Chairmanship of the Principal. It will review the NSS activities at college level.
Frequency of the Meeting:
College Level Advisory Committee should meet at least four times during a year, once every quarter. The aim of holding periodical meetings is to assess the development of NSS Programme in the institution and promote a sense of participation among the members of the staff, public and students for community work.
The college Advisory Committee will consider the proposals submitted by the Programme officer according to the administrative and policy directives. No administrative and financial changes can be made in the pattern of financial expenditure by the college Advisory Committee. As far as Programme is concerned, the Advisory Committee is free to select the activities suitable for their area and people from amongst the activities, suggested in NSS Manual or added at state level.
The motto or watchword of the National Service Scheme is 'NOT ME BUT YOU'. This reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other person's point of view and also to show consideration for fellow human beings. It underlines that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of society on the whole. Therefore, it should be the aim of the NSS to demonstrate this motto in its day-to- day Programme.
The symbol of the National Service Scheme, as appearing on the cover page of this Manual is based on the ' Rath ' wheel of the Konark Sun Temple situated in Orissa. These giant wheels of the Sun Temple portray the cycle of creation, preservation and release, and signify the movement in life across time and space. The design of the symbol, a simplified form of the Sun-chariot wheel primarily depicts movement. The wheel signifies the progressive cycle of life. It stands for continuity as well as change and implies the continuous striving of NSS for social transformation and upliftment.
NSS was formally launched on 24th September, 1969, the birth centenary year of the Father of the Nation. Therefore, 24 September is celebrated every year as NSS Day with appropriate programs and activities.
During Silver Jubilee Year the NSS theme song has been composed. All NSS volunteers are expected to learn the theme song and sing the song during NSS programmes and celebrations. The theme song cassette is available with NSS Website of all the Universities level